Saturday, October 18, 2008

I think I should have known better.

Tonight I ran to the store to get something last minute for dinner. In my hurry out the door, somehow Nate ended up with the keys and needless to say, he was VERY upset when I had to take them away. I tried to explain to him that I would gladly give them back once we arrived. He didn't believe me and threw a fit all the way to the store. I was desperate to have this all over, so when we get there I turn off the car and hand him the keys. Just as I get out and shut the door, I hear a click. That little stinker had just managed to lock himself in the car along with the keys!

The next part must have looked extremely funny to anyone watching as I began tapping on the window trying to instruct my 1 year old to push the button and unlock the car. He managed to push buttons alright, but not the right one. The panic button seemed to be his favorite, because he pushed it over and over and over. People were nice to stop and try to help and finally Nate unlocked the door.

Besides the obvious, the reason I should have known better was because I did almost the same thing when Thomas was a baby. I was driving the same car, my mom's. I had buckled Thomas into his infant carrier and put him in the car. But, while I was driving I remembered that I hadn't buckled the carrier into the car. (I was used to just snapping it into the base already there.) I pulled over, the car was still on, and when I shut the door the doors locked. My parents were out of town so they couldn't bring me another key. Thomas was crying so I ended up calling 911. I felt so stupid! When the firefighter got there he informed me with newer cars like this the only way to get in was to break the window. I said a silent prayer and was immediately inspired to look for a key behind the wheel. Now, maybe if I had remembered to put that key back behind the wheel...then I wouldn't have been in quite the predicament that I was in tonight!!

9 comments:

kachers said...

What a story!! I loved every second of that - probably one of the many funny your boys will hear about themselves later:> haha glad you shared that!

Heidi Rogers said...

ooh that little stinker bug!! Cute story and the crazy thing is that it happens to everyone all the time, but that is life CRAZY!!

Julie said...

I can totally imagine the totally awkward/embarrassing/frustrating scene that must have been! Oh the humbling power or parenthood!

Criscell said...

Oh I'm SO sorry, Amber! What a mess. I know that's going to happen to me someday. We missed you yesterday.

Criscell said...

How did you get that "vote yes on prop 102" on your blog? I want one too!

Bobbi Leavitt said...

That is the funniest thing i have heard in a long time. thats funny.

Davis Family said...

Yikes!! If it makes you feel any better, I lost Joseph at the children's museum on Friday for about 5 minutes. I asked a friend to watch him so I could run to the bathroom. I should have told him to stay, but instead I just left. He followed me and made his way to the front, almost out the door until someone caught him. He must have looked a little suspicious carrying a basket full of food from the little play store. Kids! What are you going to do with them?

Brittany Bull-Farnworth said...

that is so funny. I was there for the Thomas one.. that was a scary time. Luckily you didn't forget your child was in there.. since thats been happening so often nowa days. (not you but people in general..) I'm glad you guys were up here.. sorry we all got the flu and couldn't see you again. love you and see you soon!

Trish said...

I hate those moments of desperation and panic. I'm sure you can laugh at it now but it's not funny when your in the moment! Glad you and your kiddos survived!
Love ya',
Trish