Monday, August 11, 2008

A series of uninformed, thus bad decisions... which turned out surprisingly well.

We decided to go see some Scottish highland games this weekend in the nearby town of Perth. Bad decision #1. Getting on the first bus headed to Perth without checking where it stopped on the way. Instead of the expected 25 minute ride, it ended up taking over an hour. At least it was a good way to see ALOT of the beautiful Scottish country side!

We then get to Perth and are informed that the games have been changed to Scone, which is back in the direction that we just came. Bad decision #2. Not checking updated game info before we left. (There are buses from Dundee straight to Scone.) So, we get on another bus that drops us off in what looks like the middle of nowhere. At least, we can hear bagpipe music in the far distance and it's not currently raining so we just start walking.

We are happy when we finally get there. (It's been three hours since we got on the first bus. Remember this town is only about 25 minutes from where we live.) The boys are so excited to see at least 20 different bagpipe bands practicing at the same time. Which you would think would sound horrible, but actually it sounds the same as any other time I've heard bagpipes. Funny how that is... Bad decision #3. Letting the boys out of the stroller to run around. It had been raining for most of the day, so of course the grass is extremely wet and muddy. The result is Thomas doing a Pete Rose right into the middle of the biggest puddle!

Bad decision #4. Not bringing extra clothes for the kids. You'd think I would learn, with as much as it rains around here! :) Then, it starts to really down pour. Thomas is dressed in only my hoodie and his kilt, so we pack up the kids in the stroller and start the hike back to the bus station, not knowing when the next bus would come. (Bad decision #5.)
Now, at the bus station we realize that we have a choice...wait 2 HOURS for the next bus or walk back to town. The fickle sun was out again, so crazy us, we actually started walking!! Thinking that we would rather be moving than just sitting and hoping that we could just catch the bus at a stop further down the road. (Bad decision #6?) After walking for quite a while with no bus stops in sight...Ryan makes fun of me for happily pointing out a sign saying "Scone Palace 1 mile." (At this point what's another mile of walking right!?) I figure forget the bus. We need to go see something today, we will just fork out the money for a taxi to come pick us up.

You can't tell from this picture, but as we were walking towards the palace, the HUGGEST rain storm hit. Ryan and I couldn't help from just laughing hysterically as both our umbrellas are turned inside out at the same time and tour buses are flying past us spraying muddy water everywhere. But, really what else can you do? :) Thomas and Nathan are nice, warm and oblivious in the "bubble." Luckily, as soon as we got there, the sun was out again.

The hand dryer in the bathoom remedies the problem of Thomas' wet clothes, so we are able to walk around the Palace grounds. It was too late to go inside. (This is where 45 Scottish kings were crowned. Though, I think that they kneeled placing their hands on this stone, rather than sat on it like my boys did!!) Once again, Thomas and Nathan are just happy to spend their time playing with rocks and in the puddles. The funny thing is that with all of the walking we did from the games to the palace, you could actually SEE the games from where we were at! It was only about one farm field away! Bad decison #7. Not asking the easiest route to Scone Palace from where we were at! But, through it all we just laughed and the boys still ended up having a good time.
And despite a few uninformed, thus "bad" decisions, we were able to have a pretty fun and memorable day!

6 comments:

It Just Keeps Getting Better said...

Ryan and Amber I am so impressed with you both. You guys are amazing. I loved the video of Thomas and it was great to hear all your voices. Even with the bad decisions, things looked fun. Good Luck with the next adventure!!

Julie

Shaundee said...

Wow... I am so proud of you both. You always seem to turn whatever situation into a good time. Still I can't help but think...you worst day is Scottland is pretty much still a great day because you are in SCOTTLAND!!! We miss you all and can't wait until we get to see you.

lisa g said...

Every time I read your blog I an amazed at the things you guys do. Great adventure.

kachers said...

Amber you are making me so EXCITED to live abroad! I love reading your blog - even though I don't comment too often:> HOW FUN - I hope we get to see each other in January - will you be around? You blog is inspiring - I HAVE to keep mine up while we're away!

whitney williams said...

What a fun/long/interesting day! I bet you are just having the time of your lives! It makes my every day life seem boring lol.

meagan said...

I know that you think you made 7 bad decisions, but it sounded like it turned out to be so much fun. I absolutely love the pictures. You guys look great!